Monday, January 04, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup
Monday's Rockin' Recipe Share

You don't need your own trailer to cash in on this one. All you need is a crockpot and a willingness to cook with some Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup. Not a staple in my house, but I tossed one in the cart on Sunday and had me some super soup fun.

Well, I actually tripled the recipe, so I tossed three of those babies in the cart.

Here's what I made:

Cheeseburger Soup
Prep: 25 minutes / Cook: 10-11 hrs (low) or 5-5.5 hours (high) / Makes 6 servings

1 lb ground beef
1/2 c chopped onion (1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 c sliced carrot (1 medium)
1/4 c ketchup
2 T yellow mustard
1 fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I skipped that one)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
2 14-oz cans beef broth
1 10-3/4 oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)
Dill pickle spears (optional)

1. In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, stirring to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.

2. In a 4- to 5- qart slow cooker, combine meat mixture, potatoes, carrot, ketchup, mustard, chile pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir in broth and soup.

3. Cover and cook on low-heat 10-11 hours or on high-heat 5-5.5 hours. Top each serving with cheese. If desired, serve with pickles. (Oh, we desired.)

Note: I just remembered that I tripled it, but it didn't all fit in the crockpot. You might just want to double it.

'Nother Note: Yes, I'll be posting recipes until I take the time to post other stuff.

'Nother 'Nother Note: Most kids like this, especially if you emphasize the "Cheeseburger Soup" part and that they get to eat it with a dill pickle.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds YUMMY! I can't wait to make it!!

Jennie Englund said...

Mmmmm! Man/kid food!

When's the cookbook coming out?

Anonymous said...

I'm picking up some cheddar cheese, cheddar cheese soup and pickles at Safeway this AM and we'll be enjoying this yummy soup this eve. Am salivating as I recall the recipe - can taste it while I write this short message.
Thanks
JJJ