Wednesday, May 26, 2010

If The Dog Could Read, She'd Have To Settle For Book 3

Oh, my poor little neglected blog. Neglected for a few baseball games, gymnastics practice, walks with the dog, field trips with the kids, and... a really engaging book.

I'm nearly finished with Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief, which I was finally allowed to start reading after Dane finished it for his book report, and then after Mick and Aubrey tag teamed possession of it during their waking/sleeping hours for a couple weeks.

That book is a fun ride. You have a kid who thinks he's different (in a bad way) who finds out he's special (in an amazing way) and you're pulling for him to successfully complete a quest - because he's actually genetically linked to the gods of Greek mythology, and is mixed up in a complex plot among them.

It's an amazing, fast-paced, educational adventure - and, like I said, Percy and his series are a huge hit in this house.

Currently, Dane's reading Book 5: The Last Olympian, Mick's reading Book 4: The Battle of the Labyrinth, Aubrey's reading Book 2: Sea of Monsters, and if Sharkles could read, I'm sure she'd be on Book 3: The Titan's Curse because she probably would've beaten me to access to Book 1 long ago, too.

I also have to add that it was really tough to put Percy away for a night so I could read Cheaper By The Dozen for book club. Ultimately, I found Cheaper to be a charming. if not slightly overly-anecdotal, book about an unusual family: psychologist (mom) and efficiency expert (dad) raising twelve kids in the early twentieth century.

I may have found the father's chauvinist ways bristling at times (when he's courting his future wife, he stops conversation to pick her up and set her on a book shelf because she "looks prettier there" - and then no longer contributes to the conversation!) but I took it with a grain of salt and mostly found him to be a fun-loving, mix-it-up kind of guy who loved education and family.

Wonderful things that stayed with me: Teaching his children Morse Code by painting code on the walls, teaching the children (ages 3 and up) to multiply double digits in their heads by memorizing squares and then adding differences (or something like that -- I have to figure it out; my parents didn't teach me that!), and hanging the solar system from the house ceiling. Every situation was an opportunity to educate in this family, and it was inspiring, although a little heavy-handed.

Ultimately, I'm glad I read it, but Mr. Frank Gilbreth couldn't really hold a candle to Percy Jackson. But comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Or Humans and Half-Bloods. It's really not an even contest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhh, yes. I have been looking every day! Welcome back, but I can't fault your reasons for the delay.

How fun that the whole family is reading the same books. (I hope the kids aren't hiding them from you like you did to me.) And, are you all having discussions?

Maybe I will try to get Percy's books and join your club.

I am reading "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder right now. It is a winner of the Pulitzer Prize, and I can hardly put it down.

Sorry, I never did have any neat math tricks to teach you...I think you SHOULD figure them out, so you can pass them on!

Catch you down the road.

Love you all,
Mom, Big Share, Mema

OXXO

Jennie Englund said...

Can you believe how much books have evolved--er, changed?

I think plot has to be so much faster now, to compete with video games and TV.

Is that bad? Good? I'll think about it...

Natalie N said...

I loved reading these reviews. You are such a great writer. Really.

Also, congrats to your friend on her book. I loved the picture of you giddy ladies all together. Like you said, you all definitely can relate and appreciate all that she's been through to get where she is today. How exciting!!