Sunday, January 14, 2007

Off The Grid: Just Some Newsy News Catchup

Took a break from blogging last week. I ended up taking care of one of Dane's classmates, Terrance, for an unexpected amount of time. In the mornings, his parents would drop him off at 6:30, he'd eat breakfast here with us, go to school with us (van, or bike -- he and Aubrey in the bike trailer, that hurt my back so no can do -- or walking). After school, we dropped him off the first day, but then the rest of the week it turned out he needed care after school, so he was here indefinitely every afternoon, ranging from 5pm to later with dinners and one over-night.

I was happy to help out, but on Friday I set up with his parents that I won't be available two days a week, when I'm committed to riding bikes to school with my kids, and that I can do one day a week where he can stay here after school, but that they'd have to arrange for some help other than me. I might extend that availability to two days, because the kids really love having him around, but I decided to err on the side that helps maintain my sanity/space first.

That said, here's what's great about Terrance coming over:

*He and Dane immediately get out their homework and set to work with pencils and crayons. The conversations and engagement are marvelous, with lots of "This fish looks good with purple and green, right?" and "Sometimes I have to erase my '6' so it doesn't look scribble-scrabbly, right?" Homework that usually takes Dane about 20-30 minutes ends up being a full hour of drawing that extends into race cars and tow trucks with Terrance (and Aubrey).

*Dane and Aubrey really love playing with him. And, on Wednesday, when Aubrey was in ballet, they got to play soccer together outside the rec center.

*Dane gets to 'rassle' a little bit with Terrance around. It doesn't usually start until Terrance's mom comes to pick him up, but then while we're chatting, the boys kind of pin each other on the floor, or throw each other against the couch, or trip each other by the heel. Kind of a treat for Dane.

*Terrance's mom is 23, newly married to a really sweet and loving guy, and she's putting her best foot forward to give Terrance a good life. They had a few obstacles this week, but she impressed me with how she handled them.

So, other than the clutch going out on the van Friday, which could put a cramp in my carpool style (I also take our neighbor girl Shewanna the days I don't bike) and my pocketbook, that's some of the skinny here in Sausalito.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

3 kids isn't that hard Anj! I don't know what all the fuss is about:) Glad you're back on; I missed ya.