Sunday, December 17, 2006

Dark

It’s 7:15 and pitch black outside. We’ve had a long, busy day and we’re ready for the kids to go to bed.

“Time for bed,” Mick says. “It’s late.”

It’s actually still an hour before their usual bedtime, but the kids can’t tell time yet – at least not on our dining room clock with the Roman numerals, and they don’t think to look at the other clocks – so they don’t catch us in the lie.

In fact, they agree. Dane says, “Yeah, it’s dark – it must be like midnight or something.”

Aubrey says, “Whoa…”

Mick and I slowly nod our heads in unison and within fifteen minutes the kids’ teeth are brushed, their jammies are on, and they’re tucked in their beds.

So, I wonder, how long can we get away with this stuff? Will it come back to haunt us, like bad Karma? Or, are we simply employing the Darwinian tools of parental survival?

What was I told as a child that I later figured out to be bogus? Did my aunt really see Santa flying over my rooftop when she arrived late one Christmas Eve? Didn’t that gorgeous wool coat my mother made for my cousin Karen, the one she needed me to try on for the finishing touches, actually turn out to be my gift? And wouldn’t a childhood habit of drinking coffee surely have stunted my growth? (Okay, the verdict’s still out on that one, but at least my pre-pubescent self was spared the jitters, the teeth stains and the stale breath of a forty-year-old.)

Yes, knowledge is power. And in this case, I’m lucky enough to be the one to possess it. Besides, some day, soon enough, Dane and Aubrey will have it, too.

But for now, it’s 8 o’clock, and through their door I hear even breaths and an occasional snore – sounds that provide me with the smug knowledge that once in a while it’s not so bad that they’re in the dark.


3 comments:

Shelby said...

I'm all for lying to children! Did you know that parks close, you can't make pancakes on Tuesdays and the Police will take you to jail if you don't wear a seatbelt?! All true... in my family:)

thePendleton5 said...

NO pancakes on Tuesdays...!!! LOL. I love it. We have the same seat belt laws in our family too.

Pretty Tulip said...

MY dad used to tell my siblings that when we drove through Orting, they had to be completely silent or the police would take them to the Old Soldiers Home. No sound or they'd be busted. What a fibber. (He had great luck because whenever he'd say it, there would happen to be no children, anywhere in sight.) But they bought it, hook, line and sinker. It's no wonder he would take them for "a drive" often, through Orting. Must have been for the same peace and quiet.