Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Mugged

This morning I helped an older Iranian woman who was mugged on Terrace Drive--just 20 feet up from the playground right outside my back door. She came to the playground staggering, clutching her chest (I thought she was having a heart attack). I ran to her to find out the problem. In limited English and desperate body language she conveyed that her bag and head scarf had been stolen by someone. At first I thought she meant by her son, but after I made the 9-1-1 call and got clearer with her, I figured out that by "son" she'd meant "boy" (which, of course, makes more sense). She was so upset, so shaken, pale with red around her eyes. I touched her shoulders, clumsily attempted to embrace her. As I spoke first on the phone with the state trooper response center and then with the Marin County sheriff, she sank to the ground holding her side. I still don't know if he'd hit her or knocked her over, or if this was just the natural response to fear and vulnerability.

The sheriff came five minutes later. He tried to phrase and re-phrase his questions patiently to get accurate answers. She hadn't seen the thief--she'd turned her head from him when he assaulted her. As she demonstrated this, I thought that seemed like a natural response: protect herself from physical harm and from knowing too much about her attacker.

In the end, another sheriff's car headed off in the direction that the thief had fled (a fruitless gesture I'm sure), and the assisting officer said I was free to go. He'd take her to her apartment--just a hundred yards up the hill to what we know of as the "projects"--to find a relative who might speak more English, to interpret her Farsi. But she had no keys, no ID, no money, no cell phone, etc. Yuck. This happened at 11 a.m. I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to call to find out if I can check up on her, even to ask her if she'd like me to walk with her on errands. She's got to feel vulnerable. We all like to think we're safe in broad daylight.

5 comments:

Pretty Tulip said...

Anj, that's awful. That poor woman. I think you can check up on her through the sherrif's dept and you might even be able to get her contact information so you can offer your help. I'm so glad it was you who found her. I have heard numerous stories of ignored cries for help because the victim spoke little or no english. People seem to be afraid to even attempt to help, because they might not be able to understand. This just proves yet again, there is much to be said for basic human connection and communication - language aside. Good on ya.
You guys be careful too.

Shelby said...

Anj,
That's so terrible, but I'm glad you were there. I just got caught up on your blog. Our life has been busy, but that's just life w/ little ones, isn't it? I'm so looking forward to seeing you in June. Can't wait to give you a big squeeze.
All my love,
Bugger

anjie said...

Update: I haven't tried to reach her. I have to admit, after Mick heard about this it freaked him out a little. He definitely doesn't think the kids and/or I should be up in the projects. (Most people in our apartments feel this way about that area.) I'm keeping my eye out for the Iranian woman though.

As for where our kids were when this happened: they were at the playground with me. My friend Shari and her newborn and 2-year-old were there; she and another mom with a newborn kept an eye on them while I helped out.

anagotadavida said...

Gosh, what a terrible thing to have happen to such an innocent individual. It was really wonderful for you to have been there to offer assistance to her. Are these "project" areas considerly unsafe or is it just that people are unsure so they say that it's unsafe? Would the police officers be able to vouch for the safety of that area? Hope your paths cross again to see how she's doing. Just remember: Strength in numbers!

anjie said...

Hi Ana,
Don't know if you'll check this again, but in case someone else reads here: "the projects" are actually unsafe. In January, 20+ individuals were arrested there for drug trafficking in one of the biggest drug busts the area has seen. In the past five months, there have also been about five evening muggings at the bus stop across the street from my apartments. In spite of this, I love this place. So, I'm trying to weigh the odds these days and figure out where I ultimately stand.