Sunday, March 26, 2006

CATCH-UP. That's the theme for this entry. It's what we're trying to do with Mick while he's at home, it's what Mick is trying to do with his days off (with me, kids, sleep, woot.com, espresso machine, sleep, woot.com, espresso machine, and so on), it's what I'm trying to do for myself with a little spare time, and it's what gets to happen on this blogsite. With a little luck, it'll all pan out as planned...

We've been overwhelmed the last three weeks (and then some) with Mick preparing for finals, taking finals, and then recovering from finals (Spring Break). We can officially tell you now though that Mick has completed his third quarter, which, as I've mentioned before, is supposed to be the hardest. We hope it was the hardest, because it was HARD! Hard, we tell you! Mick kept his same crazy study hours, spent more evenings in the lab, took more (and tougher) tests, and all the while felt like the information, assignments and due dates just kept coming at him. At times, in fact, additional assignments were unexpectedly piled on when he thought he couldn't handle another thing; at others, extra credit assignments were made mandatory. (That one was a real bummer: Mick had completed one extra credit report in the wee hours and on time, only to have the professor change his mind later that week and give the other students a few more days to turn it in as a requirement. Rough break.) He's got his final grades, though, and all lights are green, so we're mostly relieved and happy.

With Mick gone so much, the responsibilities at home rested heavier on my shoulders. For the most part, I stood up to this well, but feel that I've earned myself a few mental health days to cash in on soon. (Like today, for instance. I've got the whole Sunday to myself while Mick and his dad take the kids to SF to ride the trolleys and visit the pier. I'm so glad...) I feel the challenge of mothering solo most when I think about how in seven days the kids typically have only about 6 hours of classes between them when I'm not needed. Thank goodness my two book clubs and my new writing club with Dawn Yun have worked out--I can take the kids to one book club (the Mormons of course!), and then Mick's either been able to accommodate me and watch the kids, or my friends Shari or Natalie have been available here at the apartments (fellow dental student wives). Other than that, I arrange play times with their friends or get some creative projects going; perhaps some of those'll make the blog--they're part of the catch-up plan anyway.

Mick's parents arrived on Tuesday. Mike's going home tonight and Jan's here for another ten days, which means she'll be here to relieve me a bit this next week. I always love it when she visits--not just for the help, but because she's good company and the kids are crazy about her.

This is probably enough catch-up and talk about catch-up for now. More soon!

1 comment:

Pretty Tulip said...

Kudos Mick on kicking some third quarter butt! Whew! I'm sure you're relieved. Anj - I just love your blog. I check it almost everyday for a little update. I know you think it's a bit corny, but it totally helps me stay "in touch" with you and the kids. I can follow along and won't miss some really good moments in their (all of your) lives. Love,Karen