Thursday, December 01, 2005

BALLET and some RESTORATIVE YOGA

Aubrey's ballet lessons with Miss Jessica at the Mill Valley Community Center (MVCC) resumed last night. Afterward, Miss Jessica told me Aubrey was more talkative in this class than in previous classes. I wasn't quite sure what she meant, so she quickly explained. She said this new group was more "rambunctious" than the last, so she decided to have a big talk
with them at the beginning to get started off on the right foot. She'd had the girls circle round and told them that since many of them had been in her class before, they should raise their hand if they could remember some of her rules. She told me Aubrey raised her hand immediately and listed off about five of the rules. Ha! (Before every lesson I remind Aubrey to be a good listener and to learn as much as she can from Miss Jessica-- maybe I could lay off a little!)

After Aubrey's class I decided to check the kids into the MVCC's KidzWatch and try a class of my own (since Mick was staying downtown to study all evening anyway--yes, he's still working on dental school stuff about 15 hours a day: school 8-5, lab 5-9, studying at home 'til 1 am...). I have many friends who rave about yoga, so I participated in a Restorative Yoga class, with focus on breathing. I still have a hard time getting used to the idea that something not sweaty, not speedy, not bouncy is a superior form of exercise, but even from the start I liked that it made me slow down, made me think about my posture (I am truly a sloucher--I couldn't even get my back perfectly straight sometimes when I tried) and helped me stretch out this body that I never, hardly ever, stretch. I'm going to try it again next week.

No comments: