Friday, February 16, 2007

The (Sometimes) Truth About Dental School

Okay, this is only MY perspective today -- I'm sure Mick has his own worthy version of the dental school experience, but he's so swamped he doesn't even have time to blog his perspective. So mine will have to do.

Yes, this happens to be another hardhip post. But, so be it.

This has been a tough month. Besides being overwhelmed by responsibilities at home and at school, I've taken on additional ones that included 3 book reviews, a freelance/contract business letter assignment, hosting Aubrey's birthday party, and preparing an essay/performance piece for the Writing Mamas gig at The Marsh on the 25th (which still needs much revision and practice).

Through it all, here's what I've missed: 1) having money to either do what I feel like or to go out with Mick or to get care for my kids; and, 2) time with girlfriends that make me laugh hysterically and bring out the lighter side of me.

Mick passed a kidney stone two nights ago/yesterday and I had to help out with that. (He seems to be better today, but he was miserable for about 24 hours.) I also had to farm out my kids so I could take a written test last night for an Assistant Library position that turned out to have 75 other applicants taking the test and vying for that one position. This was my heartwarming introduction to government work.

Dane and Aubrey and Mick are great (and make me proud and happy -- so I'm not THAT poorly off). Will be sure to do more upbeat, perky posts on Aubsie's party and Valentine's Day soon. But this is all I've got at this minute.

3 comments:

anjie said...

Thanks Jan. Have been trying to do that. It's the neglecting self while reaching out that's getting to be overwhelming. But welcome to dental school and motherhood, huh?

Kari Quaas said...

Hang in there Anjie! Give our best to Mickie. Hope he'll be alright soon too.

May the weekend bring some moments of peace.

It's wild that Aubs is 5! I remember when she was born and hoping that she would be born on the 2nd...2/2/2. Oh well. Having a golden b-day when you remember it is better.

Hugs from SeaTown,
The Quaasi

anjie said...

Ah, girls... See? That's what I'm talkin about! In the 10 seconds it took me to read your comments, I feel better already! I sure miss you guys... xo